You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-14 15:09:16

rent0n
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 457
Website

[Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Welcome to the Openbox Hacks and Configs Thread! lol

I thought it would be nice to have a place where openbox users can share their knowledge and their doubts about this awesome wm, so here it is.
I am completely satisfied with my setup, but I'm sure that I can learn something useful from other Arch users.

I will start by posting and commenting some parts of my rc.xml, mostly related to Actions and Keybinds, the most interesting feature of openbox (or I am missing something cooler?):

This part is the most important one, it allows me to cycle, maximize, iconify, close, move and resize windows using only the keyboard with some easy keybinds:

    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    

Here are some other interesting keybinds for various actions I find very handy:

    
    
      
      
    
    
      
        no
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        root-menu
      
    
    
      
        obm-xdg-menu
      
    
    
      
        gmrun
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        xkill
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
      no
    
    
      
      yes
    
    
      
        xscreensaver-command --lock
      
    
    
      
        client-menu
      
    

And i won't bother you with all my keybinds to launch apps since they're just Windows+ some letter...

To finish, here's how I mapped the special keys of my Acer Aspire 5920:

    
    
      
        firefox
      
    
    
      
        pidgin
      
    
    
      
        thunderbird
      
    
    
      
        sonata
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh up
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh down
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh toggle
      
    

VolumeNotify.sh is a simple modification of a script I found some thime ago in the forums:

#!/bin/bash

command=$1

if [ "$command" = "" ]; then
    echo "usage: $0 {up|down|toggle}"
    exit 0;
fi

display_volume=0

if [ "$command" = "up" ]; then
    amixer sset Master unmute
    display_volume=$(amixer sset PCM 10+ unmute | grep -m 1 "%]" | cut -d "[" -f2|cut -d "%" -f1)
fi

if [ "$command" = "down" ]; then
    amixer sset Master unmute
    display_volume=$(amixer sset PCM 10- unmute | grep -m 1 "%]" | cut -d "[" -f2|cut -d "%" -f1)
fi

icon_name=""

if [ "$command" = "toggle" ]; then
            if amixer get Master | grep "\[on\]"; then
         amixer sset Master mute
                 display_volume=0
            else
         amixer sset Master unmute
                 display_volume=$(amixer get PCM | grep -m 1 "%]" | cut -d "[" -f2|cut -d "%" -f1)
    fi
fi

notify-send "Volume: $display_volume%"
exit 1

That's all.
Have your say, share your configs! smile

Last edited by rent0n (2010-03-14 15:09:49)


rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Offline

#2 2010-03-14 15:21:33

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,059

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

I added these binds I can just use my middle mouse button for minimizing/closing. My titlebar has no buttons big_smile

      
        
      
      
        
      

I also made these to emulate a couple of Windows 7 keybinds:

    
      
      
      
        640
      
      
    
    
      
      
      
        640
      
      
    

You should change the numbers based on your display resolution.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-03-17 20:46:26)

Offline

#3 2010-03-20 10:36:47

rent0n
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 457
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Uhm... it seems that this thread is not having a great success... sad

Openbox is extensively hackable and this is why it is so powerful; are the majority of Arch Openbox users using it just like a normal window manager?
Come on, share your knowledge!

For example, does anyone know if Openbox allows to group windows in tabs, like fluxbox does?


rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Offline

#4 2010-03-20 12:44:36

the gray
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2009-03-16
Posts: 21

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

nope. openbox doesn't support window tabbing. i personally don't miss that.

i have a pretty much standard rc.conf except some keybindings and a few window rules. my favorites are these for moving the active window to screen edges

     
      
        0
        0
      
    
    
      
        center
        0
      
    
    
      
        -0
        0
      
    
    
      
        0
        center
      
    
    
      
        center
        center
      
    
    
      
        -0
        center
      
    
    
      
        0
        -0
      
    
    
      
        center
        -0
      
    
    
      
        -0
        -0
      
    

Offline

#5 2010-03-20 13:21:00

rent0n
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 457
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

the gray wrote:

nope. openbox doesn't support window tabbing. i personally don't miss that.
i have a pretty much standard rc.conf except some keybindings and a few window rules. my favorites are these for moving the active window to screen edges

I don't know if I miss it, just heard of it among fluxbox users.
I'm not sure of what I'm saying but maybe using MoveToEdge (and optionally GrowToEdge) actions could be a good solution for you. What's the difference compared to your approach?


rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Offline

#6 2010-03-20 15:36:34

the gray
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2009-03-16
Posts: 21

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

documentation for MoveToEdge says that edges are both screen edges and other window edges which is not the behaviour i want. i wanted to move windows
exclusively to screen edges and to screen center (which i could have accomplished with MoveToCenter). anyway, this approach seemed more logical to me

Offline

#7 2010-03-20 18:10:53

Wintervenom
Member
Registered: 2008-08-20
Posts: 1,011

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

I make Openbox open normal windows maximized and without decoration to emulate the way Musca/Ratpoison/StumpWM let me flip though multiple windows in each container -- now, if I could only work out actually splitting the screen for the multiple containers...
I suppose if I'm going to make Openbox do this, I might as well be using a tiling window manager, but nothing can replace Musca for me.  tongue



  
    Onyx-black
    CMIDLN
    yes
    no
    
      Sans
      7
      Bold
      None
    
    
      Sans
      7
      Normal
      Italic
    
    
      Sans
      7
      Normal
      None
    
    
      Sans
      7
      Normal
      None
    
    
      Sans
      7
      Normal
      None
    
  

  
    C-g

    
    
      
        yes
      
    
    
      
        yes
      
    

    
    
      
        no
        yes
      
    
    
      
        no
        yes
      
    

    
    
      
        1
      
    
    
      
        2
      
    
    
      
        3
      
    
    
      
        4
      
    
    
      
        5
      
    
    
      
        6
      
    
    
      
        7
      
    
    
      
        8
      
    
    
      
        9
      
    

    
    
      
        1
        yes
      
    
    
      
        2
        yes
      
    
    
      
        3
        yes
      
    
    
      
        4
        yes
      
    
    
      
        5
        yes
      
    
    
      
        6
        yes
      
    
    
      
        7
        yes
      
    
    
      
        8
        yes
      
    
    
      
        9
        yes
      
    

    
    
      
    

    
    
      
        no
        yes
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        no
        yes
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        client-menu
      
    

    
    
      
    
    
      
    


    
    
      
        client-list-combined-menu
      
    
    
      
        notify-send -t 3000 "Reloaded Openbox configuration."
      
      
        obmenu-update
      
    
    
      
        notify-send -t 3000 "Restarting Openbox..."
      
      
        openbox --restart
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        root-menu
      
    
  

  
    8
    200
    200
     
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
        
        
        
      
      
        
        
      
      
        
        
        
          client-menu
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
          top
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
          left
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
          right
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
          bottom
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
        
        
          client-menu
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
        
      
      
        
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
        
          client-menu
        
      
      
        
        
        
          client-menu
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
        
      
      
        
      
    
    
      
        
        
      
      
        
        
      
    
    
      
      
        
          client-list-combined-menu
        
      
      
        
          root-menu
        
      
    
  

  
    9
    1
    
      Alpha
      Beta
      Gamma
      Delta
      Epsilon
      Zeta
      Eta
      Theta
      Iota
      Kappa
    
    500
  

  
    10
    20
  

  
    yes
    no
    yes
    no
    200
    no
  

  
    Smart
    
yes
Any
yes Nonpixel Center 10 10 0 12 0 0 Top 0 0 No Above Horizontal no 300 300 Middle menu.xml 200 no 100 yes yes yes no no yes

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-03-20 18:11:23)

Offline

#8 2010-03-20 18:14:57

xd-0
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2007-11-02
Posts: 327
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

First I have the ordinaty multimediakeys mapped to ossvol (in AUR) and mpc. But that is described in one of the above posts.
Secondly I have w+right w+left set to move and resize the active window to half the screen (left or right). This works nice with my resolution 1680x1050 and 28px high tint2 panel, and leaves a little space. It's a nice workaround if you want some tiling in OB.


    
        0
        -0
        835
        995
    


    
        -0
        -0
        835
        995
    

Offline

#9 2010-03-26 21:01:28

Wintervenom
Member
Registered: 2008-08-20
Posts: 1,011

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

xd-0 wrote:

Secondly I have w+right w+left set to move and resize the active window to half the screen (left or right). This works nice with my resolution 1680x1050 and 28px high tint2 panel, and leaves a little space. It's a nice workaround if you want some tiling in OB.

Pure awesomeness!  I borrowed this and added:


      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
      
      
        0
        0
        636
        778
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        636
        778
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        1280
        379
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        -0
        1280
        379
      
    

Now, if only windows could be swapped... tongue

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-03-26 21:02:00)

Offline

#10 2010-03-27 07:09:28

Sarai
Member
From: Alaska
Registered: 2010-02-20
Posts: 62

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

My favorite key bindings, in no particular order...

Controlling mpd:


      
        
          true
          lastsong
        
        mpc prev
      
    
    
      
        
          true
          nextsong
        
        mpc next
      
    
    
      
        
          true
          playorpausesong
        
        mpc toggle
      
    

Controlling windows:


      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        client-menu
      
    

In quicker to read terms, those are...

Mpd controls
Super-Right : next song
Super-Left: previous song
Super-Enter: toggle pause/play

Window controls
Alt-Bkspace : exit focused window
Alt-Down : minimize focused window
Alt-Up : maximize focused window
Alt-Right/Left : brings up the osd with a window list that can be scrolled through
Alt-Space : right click menu, anywhere!

Of course, I have a ton load of others too, for launching applications, suspending, rebooting, making toast, etc. I am unabashedly in love with keybindings, they speed up my workflow to the point where I do stuff faster than I can think about it. This leads to the wrong window getting closed, stuff getting written in the wrong text box, etc, but I don't even care.

Offline

#11 2010-03-27 08:33:20

tawan
Member
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 290
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

^ nice idea to summarize the code hilights like you did there smile . It is not so useful when people post whole rc's expecting us to read it.

Offline

#12 2010-03-27 08:58:58

rent0n
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 457
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Wintervenom wrote:
xd-0 wrote:

Secondly I have w+right w+left set to move and resize the active window to half the screen (left or right). This works nice with my resolution 1680x1050 and 28px high tint2 panel, and leaves a little space. It's a nice workaround if you want some tiling in OB.

Pure awesomeness!  I borrowed this and added:


      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    
    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
      
      
        0
        0
        636
        778
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        636
        778
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        1280
        379
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        -0
        1280
        379
      
    

Now, if only windows could be swapped... tongue

Ok, this looks extremely cool.
Can you please explain the use of these keybinds?
As far as I see, with Win+h,j,k,l you move between windows (like in wmii) but I didn't completely get what do you do with Shift+Win+h,j,k,l.
Thanks!


rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Offline

#13 2010-03-27 19:35:07

moljac024
Member
From: Serbia
Registered: 2008-01-29
Posts: 2,676

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Ok, I'll share mine:


      
      
        -0
        0
        1200
        360
      
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        -0
        1200
        360
      
      
    
    
      
      
        0
        0
        637
        700
      
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        637
        700
      
      
    
    
      
      
        0
        0
        637
        360
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        0
        637
        360
      
    
    
      
      
        0
        -0
        637
        360
      
    
    
      
      
        -0
        -0
        637
        360
      
    

      
        center
        center
        840
        640
      
    

W-F1 - Window covers the upper half of the screen (horizontal)
W-F2 - Window covers the lower half of the screen (horizontal)
W-F3 - Window covers the left half of the screen (vertical)
W-F4 - Window covers the right half of the screen (vertical)

W-S-F1 - Window covers the upper left corner of the screen
W-S-F2 - Window covers the upper right corner of the screen
W-S-F3 - Window covers the lower left corner of the screen
W-S-F4 - Window covers the lower right corner of the screen

W-Q - Window resized to 840x640 and centered on screen

These cover the basic, most often used window sizes and positions in most tiling algorithms.
The config above is for 1280x800 resolution.

Last edited by moljac024 (2010-03-27 19:35:48)


The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Offline

#14 2010-03-27 20:07:44

Roline
Member
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2009-12-05
Posts: 207
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

moljac024 wrote:

Ok, I'll share mine:
...
These cover the basic, most often used window sizes and positions in most tiling algorithms.
The config above is for 1280x800 resolution.

Thanks!


Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

Offline

#15 2010-03-27 20:58:07

bernarcher
Forum Fellow
From: Germany
Registered: 2009-02-17
Posts: 2,281

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

I happened to bind 105 keys to actions and most used application. At least this is what a
grep "keybind key" .config/openbox/rc.xml | wc -l
tells. This allows me to almost exclusively use the keyboard for daily work (if I want to).

Among them these bindings these may be interesting.

Openbox Control

    

    
      
        root-menu
      
    

    

    
      
        client-list-combined-menu
      
    

Desktop Control

    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        no
        no
      
    

    
      
        1
      
    

    
      
        2
      
    

    
      
        3
      
    

    
      
        4
      
    

    
      
    

Windows Positioning and Select

    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
    

    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    
      
        yes
        yes
        
          
          
          
        
      
    

    

    
      
    
    
      
    

    
      
        yes
        yes
      
    

Other Windows Control

    

    
      
    

    
      
      
      
    

    
      
        client-menu
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

    
      
    

Additionally I defined two standard window sizes, a small (according to a urxvt 80x24 lines, DejaVu Sans Mono 11 pt.) and a medium-sized one (ditto, 88x39 lines) which can be arranged to completely fill my screen area, thus easily fitting for a pseudo-tiled display.

Last edited by bernarcher (2010-03-27 21:09:35)


To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Offline

#16 2010-03-27 21:17:22

evot
Member
From: Finland
Registered: 2010-02-26
Posts: 96

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

I'm quite new with my openbox configurations.
It is very helpful to have thread like this. smile

btw. MoveToEdge and GrowToEdge are very useful.

Offline

#17 2010-03-28 02:02:24

Wintervenom
Member
Registered: 2008-08-20
Posts: 1,011

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

rent0n wrote:

Ok, this looks extremely cool.
Can you please explain the use of these keybinds?
As far as I see, with Win+h,j,k,l you move between windows (like in wmii) but I didn't completely get what do you do with Shift+Win+h,j,k,l.
Thanks!

Moves and resizes the window to the west, south, north, or west half of the screen, respectively.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-03-28 02:03:08)

Offline

#18 2010-03-28 08:45:29

Larsson
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2010-03-22
Posts: 157

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Wintervenom wrote:

Pure awesomeness!  I borrowed this and added:

Thank you smile was worried a while when I did'nt get any response on this since there are so many that want some kind of tiling. I was thinking that using this keybinding also could launch a script that changes the window id and stores it in a file. Then it would be as simple as to swap the position of the window ids. I think Openbox might be able to handle this but I have'nt tried yet.

ps. I changed username since the last time. previous xd-0. Sorry for the confusion.


"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

Offline

#19 2010-03-28 17:51:15

Wintervenom
Member
Registered: 2008-08-20
Posts: 1,011

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Larsson wrote:
Wintervenom wrote:

Pure awesomeness!  I borrowed this and added:

Thank you smile was worried a while when I did'nt get any response on this since there are so many that want some kind of tiling. I was thinking that using this keybinding also could launch a script that changes the window id and stores it in a file. Then it would be as simple as to swap the position of the window ids. I think Openbox might be able to handle this but I have'nt tried yet.

ps. I changed username since the last time. previous xd-0. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe wmctrl can help here.

Offline

#20 2010-04-05 09:19:02

rent0n
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 457
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Just changed a bit my keybindings so I will post it here again with easy to read comments.

General
Win+Tab: switch to next desktop (I only use 2 desktops)
Win+Shift+Tab: move window to next desktop, without switching desktop
Win+Space: show/hide desktop
Win+Enter: show menu
Win+Shift+Enter: show obm-xdg menu
Win+Menu: show current window menu
Win+Esc: lock screen
Win+Backspace: exit openbox
Alt+F2: run
Alt+F4: close window
Alt+F5: xkill
Alt+F10: reconfigure openbox
Alt+F11: restart openbox
Alt+F12: exit openbox

Starting Applications:
Win+r: run (gmrun)
Win+t: terminal (terminal)
Win+Shift+t: terminal with tmux
Win+e: editor (mousepad)
Win+f: file manager (thunar)
Win+b: browser (firefox)
Win+m: mail (thunderbird)
Win+c: calculator (gcalctool)
Win+p: player (gnome-mplayer)
Win+s: sonata
Win+d: pidgin
Win+a: abiword
Win+n: gnumeric
Win+w: openoffice writer
Win+l: openoffice calc
Win+i: openoffice impress
Win+g: gimp
Win+k: inkscape
Win+y: geany
Win+o: orage
Print: scrot takes screenshot of desktop after 5 seconds
Shift+Print: scrot takes screenshots of current window or selection.

Managing Windows
Win+Alt+Up: maximize/unmazimize window
Win+Alt+Down: iconify window
Win+Alt+Left: previous window
Win+Alt+Right: next window
Win+Alt+End: close window
Ctrl+Win+Up: grow window to north edge
Ctrl+Win+Down: grow window to south edge
Ctrl+Win+Left: grow window to west edge
Ctrl+Win+Right: move window to east edge
Ctrl+Win+Alt+Up: move window to north edge
Ctrl+Win+Alt+Down: move window to south edge
Ctrl+Win+Alt+Left: move window to west edge
Ctrl+Win+Alt+Right: move window to east edge

Special keys
very predictable, see rc.xml.



Here is my rc.xml:

  
    C-g
    
    
      
      
    
    
      
        no
      
    
    
      
    
    
    
      
        root-menu
      
    
    
      
        obm-xdg-menu
      
    
    
      
        gmrun
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
        xkill
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
      no
    
    
      
      yes
    
    
      
        xscreensaver-command --lock
      
    
    
      
        gmrun
      
    
    
      
        terminal
      
    
    
      
        terminal -e tmux
      
    
    
      
        thunar
      
    
    
      
        mousepad
      
    
    
      
        firefox
      
    
    
      
        thunderbird
      
    
    
      
        pidgin
      
    
    
      
        soffice -impress
      
    
    
      
        gimp
      
    
    
      
        gcalctool
      
    
    
      
        abiword
      
    
    
      
        gnumeric
      
    
    
      
        inkscape
      
    
    
      
        soffice -writer
      
    
    
      
        soffice -calc
      
    
    
      
        geany
      
    
    
      
        gnome-mplayer-caffeine
      
    
    
      
        sonata
      
    
    
      
        orage
      
    
    
      
        scrot -cd 5 /home/enrico/Desktop/screenshot_%d_%m_%y_%H_%M_%S.png
      
    
    
      
        scrot -bs /home/enrico/Desktop/screenshot_%d_%m_%y_%H_%M_%S.png
      
    
    
      
        firefox
      
    
    
      
        pidgin
      
    
    
      
        thunderbird
      
    
    
      
        sonata
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh up
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh down
      
    
    
      
        /home/enrico/.scripts/VolumeNotify.sh toggle
      
    
    
      
        client-menu
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
  

Cheers,

Last edited by rent0n (2010-04-05 09:27:31)


rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Offline

#21 2010-04-05 11:28:11

bernarcher
Forum Fellow
From: Germany
Registered: 2009-02-17
Posts: 2,281

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

@rent0n
This looks good.
I immediately stole your Print key scrot bindings. This Print key binding was something I couldn't figure out yet.
Thanks! big_smile


To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Offline

#22 2010-04-05 12:18:47

Möller
Member
Registered: 2009-11-19
Posts: 16

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

    

 
  root-menu
 

I never use the menubutton otherwise, so it feels great finally having a use for it!

Offline

#23 2010-04-05 17:09:46

Andrwe
Member
From: Leipzig/Germany
Registered: 2009-06-17
Posts: 322
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

I don't have any special key bindings that is why I'm posting my application settings:
class="?*": All applications not set up otherwise are centered on the first monitor
name="urxvtq1": first urxvtq (kuake-like urxvt) is maximized horizontally starting at y=0, set on all desktops, above all other apps and not shown in taskbar and pager
name="urxvtq2": second urxvtq is maximized horizontally starting at y=700, set on all desktops, above all other apps and not shown in taskbar and pager
name="irssi": irssi is maximized on second monitor without decoration on all desktops
class="Midori": browser is started maximized at first desktop
class="Claws-mail": mail-client is started maximized at second desktop
class="Oblogout": shown on all desktops
class="Conky": conky with system values is started above all other on second monitor

  
    
      
        center
        center
        1
      
    
    
      no
      
        center
        0
        1
      
      all
      above
      yes
      yes
      Horizontal
    
    
      no
      
        center
        700
        1
      
      all
      above
      yes
      yes
      Horizontal
    
    
      no
      
        center
        center
        2
      
      all
      yes
      yes
    
    
      no
      
        center
        center
        1
      
      1
      yes
    
    
      no
      2
      yes
    
    
      no
      
        center
        center
        1
      
      all
      yes
    
    
      
                center
                1
                2
      
      no
      above
      all
      yes
    
    
      
        center
        1066
        1
      
    
  

Last edited by Andrwe (2010-04-05 17:10:12)


Website: andrwe.org

Offline

#24 2010-04-10 18:57:16

Roline
Member
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2009-12-05
Posts: 207
Website

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

Here's mine. Nothing fancy, all borrowed stuff, but i'll post it anyway.

Keybindings for printscreens:

    
      
        scrot /home/sander/Afbeeldingen/Printscreen/screenshot-%F-%H%M%S.png
      
    
    
      
        scrot -d 5 /home/sander/Afbeeldingen/Printscreen/screenshot-%F-%H%M%S.png
      
    
    
      
        scrot -bs /home/sander/Afbeeldingen/Printscreen/screenshot-%F-%H%M%S.png
      
    

Keybindings for Openbox:

    
      
        /home/sander/.scripts/OBDmenu.sh
      
    
    
       
     
    
      
    
    
      
        xkill
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
      yes
    
    
      
        root-menu
      
    
    
      
        client-list-combined-menu
      
    
    
      
        client-send-to-menu
      
    
    
      
        /home/sander/.scripts/conky_help
      
    
    C-g

Keybindings for desktop switching:

    
      
        no
        no
      
    
    
      
        no
        no
      
    
    
      
        no
        no
      
    
    
      
        no
        no
      
    

Keybindings for window switching:

    
      
    
    
      
        no
        yes
        yes
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    

Keybindings for Tiling:

    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
    
    
      
      
        center
        center
        311
        746
      
    
    
      
      
        center
        center
        626
        746
      
    
    
      
        center
        center
        941
        746
      
    
    
      
        center
        center
        1256
        746
      
    
    
      
        center
        center
        626
        364
      
    
    
      
        center
        center
        1256
        364
      
    

Keybindings for applications:

    
      
        sunbird
      
    
    
      
        firefox
      
    
    
      
        galculator
      
    
    
      
        dropboxd
      
    
    
      
        bluefish
      
    
    
      
        pcmanfm
      
    
    
      
        gimp
      
    
    
      
        urxvt -e htop
      
    
    
      
        leafpad
      
    
    
      
        urxvt -e mc
      
    
    
      
        sonata
      
    
    
      
        urxvt
      
    
    
      
        soffice -writer
      
    
    
      
        mpc prev
      
    
    
      
        mpc next
      
    
    
      
        mpc toggle
      
    
    
      
        mpc stop
      
    

Applications:

  
    
      1
    
    
      1
    
    
      1
    
    
      2
    
    
      2
      below
    
  

Last edited by Roline (2010-05-07 11:27:25)


Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

Offline

#25 2010-04-10 20:30:44

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,059

Re: [Openbox] Hacks and Configs Thread!

You didn't have to post the entire config wink

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB