You are not logged in.

#1 2026-09-17 21:28:20

awesomecat
Member
Registered: 2026-09-17
Posts: 4

[SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

Pretty self explanatory.
I'm on wayland, (although im assuming firefox runs under xwayland) using hyprland, intel dedicated graphics on some 2014 retina macbook
firefox works as normal until it crashes for some reason when you rightclick, or wait a bit.
running it in the terminal says nothing, and the only way to close it is by terminating.

Last edited by awesomecat (2026-09-21 02:46:30)

Offline

#2 2026-09-17 22:48:22

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,126

Re: [SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Core_d … _core_dump
Except

running it in the terminal says nothing, and the only way to close it is by terminating.

What do you actually mean by "crash", 'cause

Pretty self explanatory.

probably not.

Offline

#3 2026-09-18 03:50:42

awesomecat
Member
Registered: 2026-09-17
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

so when i ran the coredump thing nothing happened, and i guess it doesnt "crash"

It freezes, completly, doesn't react to anything.

Offline

#4 2026-09-18 06:20:13

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,126

Re: [SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

doesn't react to anything

How do you close it then?
(All default mechanisms will use SIGTERM that the process needs to handle)

I'm on wayland, (although im assuming firefox runs under xwayland) using hyprland

Check and flip this around
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Waylan … plications
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox#Xwayland

Also test the behavior on not-hyprland (eg. weston will do - or openbox on actual X11)

Right clicking will open a (modal) context menu - chances are that this blocks input to firefox but you can't see it for bugs specific to your compositor or even more likely: your configuration of it.
Did you maybe copy+paste someone elses dotfiles?

Offline

#5 2026-09-21 02:39:09

awesomecat
Member
Registered: 2026-09-17
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

Im back.

How do you close it then?

Im prompted to terminate it after a few seconds of it being frozen

after testing, Firefox originally ran on wayland, switching it to X does nothing to remedy the issue.  (although interestingly enough it doesn't prompt me to terminate it while running under xwayland, instead it closes itself on its own after like 30-60 seconds)

Did you maybe copy+paste someone elses dotfiles?

my hyprland conf is based of the default one with some modifications made by me.

i'm yet to check on a real x11 environment.
I also tried developer edition and zen browser (being based on firefox), which has the same issue, chromium doesnt,

update: just tried XFCE, i can right click there. so i guess its a hyprland issue?

Last edited by awesomecat (2026-09-21 02:42:44)

Offline

#6 2026-09-21 02:45:59

awesomecat
Member
Registered: 2026-09-17
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED ]Firefox crashes when I right click

OK so i fixed it, it was my config.

i tried to change some right click behaviors by setting random things to true (or false) and it was causing firefox to freak out.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB