Hello everyone. I'm setting up a home media server and I thought it would be a great opportunity to get my feet wet with Linux, so here I am.
I'm running Ubuntu server 12.04 on a Windows 8.1 Pro Hyper-V virtual machine. The Ubuntu installation is on a 10GB partition on the SSD, and I am trying to add a 2.5TB HDD for media storage. The partition spans two drives, which I have made into one partition using windows 8 storage spaces. The virtual HD is a .vhdx file connected to the VM with a virtual SCSI controller.
Im using parted to label and partition the new hard drive, but when I try to create a file system using the following command:
mkfs.ext4 [COLOR=#660033]-E[/COLOR] [COLOR=#007800]lazy_itable_init[/COLOR]=1 /dev/sdb1
I get one line of output: "mke2fs 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)" then nothing, it's been sitting at this screen for about 12 hours.
Is this working as intended? Should I be seeing more output or has it frozen?
I've also tried the command without the lazy_itable parameter and it has the same result.
Thanks!